Join the team
Would you like to become part of the Primary Engineer Programmes team? We are looking to grow our team with people who share our energy, passion and enthusiasm for delivering exceptional programmes, training and events.
Head of Operations - Burnley
Primary Engineer have, over the past 12 years, created an engineering curriculum that spans Early Years, Primary, Secondary and Further Education institutions. Its core aims include; the development of children and young people through engagement with engineering, the promotion of engineering careers for pupils through inspiring programmes and competitions, the development of engineering skills for teachers and practitioners as a sustainable model and working to address the gender imbalance in science and engineering.
The Head of Operations role is a fantastic opportunity to lead within a high-profile national organisation where you can really make a difference to society.
As the Primary Engineer Head of Operations, you will have a strong commercial leadership background and have proven your ability to establish and maintain a lean operational model within a small to medium sized (but growing and ambitious) organisation. You will work closely with the CEO and directors to determine an operations strategy which can deliver on Primary Engineer’s strategic vision. You will ensure that Primary Engineer operates in a streamlined and efficient way, while adhering to industry and legal standards of compliance. You will ‘take the reigns’ of our operational core and make us the best we can be.
The Head of Operations will be a key member of the Primary Engineer Senior Strategy Team, and will head up the entirety of our core operational structure.
The Head of Operations will take the lead on the operational delivery of Primary Engineer. They will own the development and continuous improvement of the operational structure, tools and processes within Primary Engineer to make it the most efficient and well-run organisation possible.
We are seeking an inspiring, effective, organised, and solutions-focussed operations specialist to lead on operational delivery within Primary Engineer as Head of Operations. This position comes with broad scope to improve efficiency and cost-effectiveness, shape the culture, grow and nurture the team and ensure the successful future of our not-for-profit organisation.
Successful track record in:
- Designing, building and maintaining a lean operational model, and the culture to support it
- Leading on operational compliance in several key areas, including H&S and HR
- Financial management; establishment of financial processes, control of budgets, management of financial reporting
- Determining process and tool solutions to drive operational efficiency
- Managing operational projects based around optimisation and change
- Creating a successful and efficient operational improvement strategy
- Leadership of staff and contractors
- Inspiring leadership approach, an expert-level ability to manage staff, workload and deadlines
- Able to lead operational strategy and contribute to long-term business strategy
- Eagle-eye attention to detail
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent level of digital skills; proficient with various web tools
- Creative approach to developing solutions to operational problems
- Excellent interpersonal and team-working skills
- Positive relationship building with colleagues and external partners
- Ability to overcome objections and manage change
- Ability to successfully roll out new ideas to a team, garnering buy-in with approach used
- Ability to tackle difficult HR situations in a sensitive way
- Able to create, map, communicate and optimise process
- Inspirational leader
- Committed to the support and development of employees
- Continuous improvement/growth mindset
- Diligent and thorough in approach
- Enthusiastic about technology and new IT solutions
- Personal and professional integrity
- Open, approachable and personable
- Energy-giving, motivational
- Collaborative style
- ‘Outside the box’ solutions thinking
- Enthusiasm for, and understanding of, the Primary Engineer cause
- Embraces change and isn’t afraid to challenge the status quo
- An empowering coach
Salary: £40k – £45k pro rata, negotiable
Company Pension Scheme
POSITION WITHIN ORGANISATION:
Reports to: CEO
Direct reports: Service Delivery Manager and their team of Account Managers and trainers, Warehouse Manager, Marketing Manager
Place of work will be AMS Neve, Billington Road Technology Park, Burnley, with flexibility to attend meetings and events off-site as required. There is also the potential for home working in this role, by prior arrangement.
The post is full-time at 37.5 hours per week
Hours of work will be Monday to Friday between 08:30 and 16:30
29 days holiday per annum including bank holidays
The role will be subject to a 6-month probationary period
- Flexible working for an early finish on Fridays (3pm)
- An additional day holiday for each year of employment up to 5 years
- Work from home opportunities
- Laptop and phone provided
- Working with some of the world’s largest blue-chip companies as part of their school outreach activities
- Opportunities to engage with inspiring people and companies, including industry site visits and conferences
HOW TO APPLY:
Please email your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Full job spec available on request
The closing date for this position is the 14th of August, interviews will be held immediately after closing, during week commencing the 17th of August.